Schedule for Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017
6:15 p.m. - Conversation Guides should begin arriving at Devaney Center (enter through South doors)
6:20 p.m. - Doors open to students at Devaney Center
7:00 p.m. - Program begins with a video followed by students speaking
7:30 p.m. - Everyone moves to small group discussion
8:25 p.m. - Wrap up discussion and instruct students to use phone to complete the event survey
Husker Dialogues Ground Rules
Ground rules will be shared with the large group in the context of community values and should be reinforced in the small group.
- Phones and computers should be shut off.
- Be respectful. Don't diminish or shut down another person's experience.
- Be open to the process.
- Acknowledge that these are difficult conversations.
- Be authentic and engaging.
- Be sure to listen to what others have to say (to appreciate their journey and perspective).
Suggested Small Group Discussion Questions
1) Tonight you heard five students share experiences about themselves that you probably wouldn't know if you first met them. Would you like to share something about yourself that is important to you that someone might not know?
2) What is one question you have based on the students’ stories you heard tonight?
3) What one idea or issue did the students’ stories raise for you?
4) What is one idea or experience that you heard from the students’ stories that you want to learn more about?
5) How does being a student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln inform or challenge your experience or knowledge related to diversity and inclusion?
6) How often does your life ask you to see yourself through a racial lens? A gendered lens? An American lens?
7) What can you do to become more inclusive?
Building Our Expertise
Microagressions and Cultural Lens